Nigeria Jollof rice is a delicious and popular rice dish that is enjoyed by many people in Nigeria and across West Africa. This meal is a staple in most Nigerian households and is often served at social events, celebrations, and special occasions. Preparing Nigerian Jollof rice may seem daunting, but with the right ingredients and steps, you can make a delicious pot of Jollof rice that your family and friends will love.
- 4 cups of long-grain rice
- 1 can of tomato paste
- 3 medium-sized tomatoes
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 scotch bonnet peppers (Ata Rodo)
- 2 onions
- 2 teaspoons of thyme
- 2 teaspoons of curry powder
- 2 teaspoons of white pepper
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
- 2 cups of chicken or beef stock
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon of ginger paste
- 1 bay leaf
- Rinse the rice in a colander and set aside to drain.
- In a blender or food processor, blend the tomatoes, red bell peppers, and scotch bonnet peppers to a smooth paste.
- Heat up a large pot on medium heat, and add the vegetable oil.
- Add the chopped onions to the pot, and sauté until they become translucent.
- Add the garlic and ginger paste to the pot, and sauté for a few seconds.
- Add the tomato paste and stir, allowing it to cook for a few minutes.
- Add the blended pepper mix to the pot, and stir to combine with the tomato paste. Allow it to cook for 10-15 minutes until the sauce is slightly thickened.
- Add the thyme, curry powder, white pepper, and bay leaf to the pot and stir.
- Pour the chicken or beef stock into the pot and stir to combine.
- Add the rice to the pot and stir to ensure that the rice is well coated with the sauce.
- Cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid and turn the heat to low.
- Allow the rice to cook for 25-30 minutes until it is fully cooked and the liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove the pot from heat, fluff the rice with a fork, and allow it to sit for 5 minutes.
- Serve the Nigerian Jollof rice with your choice of protein, salad, or coleslaw.
Nigerian Jollof rice is a delicious and easy-to-prepare meal that is enjoyed by many people in Nigeria and across West Africa. By following these simple steps and using the right ingredients, you can make a tasty pot of Jollof rice that your family and friends will love. Whether you are celebrating a special occasion or simply looking to try out a new recipe, Nigerian Jollof rice is a great option for any mealtime.